22.5.10

And now to work...


The return to Dodoma is as challenging as the week that follows. After waiting for an hour and a half under the sun, the late bus arrives already full. I get on and find my seat already taken. I try to claim it as it is a window seat and I want to get some shots of the animals this time. The man however doesn’t budge. When I see the man sitting next to him wearing handcuffs I quickly resign and go right to the back where there’s still a free middle seat. The bumpy and hot journey is made easier by Elvis, Billy Joel, Fado, Cold Play, Soda Estereo and the Doors. Good old alkaline batteries... No chance of spotting any animals this time though. Arriving in Dodoma I find Amy is still sick though on her way to recovery. She’s taking this week off and so is the most senior colleague, Justin, as his elderly father has died over the weekend. On Monday I go with my other two colleagues to withdraw money from the bank to pay for the coffin and buy him (plastic!) flowers. We go to his village to give him our condolences and greet all his family. I can now introduce myself and pick up a few words of the conversation here and there. As the eldest son, Justin is now head of his family, but also of the families of his father’s other two wives. And so I learn that polygamy is still widely practiced here.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant blog Fi. I hope you're taking down other peoples stories too somewhere, because it sounds like you'll have enough to write many a novel based on them. Are you painting anything relating to what you see? No puedo esperar a que adjuntes fotos tambien.
    Your story about your micro-organism toilet reminds me of a scene from the film Trainspotting. I hope tht's got better.
    Animo, y sigue aprovechndo pequenya hermanita.
    te quiero mucho.
    Nicoxxx

    ReplyDelete