22.5.10

Stop-over in Dar es Salaam

I land safely in Dar Es Salaam, and pick up my luggage. Dar is doing its best to be hospitable and squeeze the chaos to one side for the World Economic Forum pilgrims. They flow past me in the immigration queue and I later learn they will have no sense of the traffic marmalade that normally spreads through the city. While the general public is stuck in stagnant traffic on the lateral roads, the main roads are reserved for the exclusive use of officials. Public transport management will probably not be on their meeting agenda then...

I exit the airport and scan through the crowd for a fragile but respectable man, Mr Embema. The retired Deputy High Commissioner for Tanzania and patron of STT, the organization I’ll be working for, is nowhere to be seen. Where is he?? I find instead a young looking couple with a sign saying "Sofia Sunseed". "Im Mzilasi, Mr Embema's daughter, this Aaron my husband. Unfortunately Mr Embema has been taken ill and is in hospital". I offer my sympathy and change money and am led to a healthy looking vehicle. I wonder how serious Mr Embema’s illness in. They say they think it’s a bout of Malaria. They promptly drop me off at the hotel and continue onto the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment